- Contribute to the implementation of SDG 6 while providing international best practice on WASH.
The WBCSD Pledge for access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) is an opportunity for companies to contribute concretely to the implementation of SDG 6, while at the same time ensuring that they provide international best practice on WASH.
By signing the WASH Pledge, companies commit to implementing access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene at the workplace at an appropriate level of standard for all employees in all premises, under their control within three years of signature. Under the Pledge, companies are also encouraged to address WASH across their value chain, including among their suppliers, as well as in the communities that surround their workplaces and/or where their workers live.
Why sign the WASH Pledge?
Today, over 785 million people are still without access to safe drinking water, another 2.2 billion lack safely managed drinking water services and an estimated 4.2 billion lack access to safely managed sanitation services. Conversely, it is estimated that for every USD $1 invested in water and sanitation, USD $4.3 is generated in returns through avoided costs, a healthier population and increased productivity and reduced absenteeism.
By signing the WASH Pledge, companies:
- Demonstrate leadership by joining WBCSD members in setting a higher standard for the health and safety of company employees, value chains and communities.
- Generate impact by contributing to the implementation of the SDGs.
- Reap business benefits by investing in a healthier and more productive workforce and strengthening their social license to operate.
- Be connected to peers and partners active in this space through the WASH4Work initiative.
How can your company sign the WASH Pledge?
The process is quite straightforward: A representative in a position to commit their business can sign the Pledge and submit a statement (see sample below) to the WBCSD Water team.
“This email confirms that (name of the company) has committed to signing the Pledge for Access to Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene .We recognize that by signing this Pledge, (name of the company) commits to implementing access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene at an appropriate level of standard for all employees in all premises under our direct control, and supporting partners across our value chains and communities that surround our workplaces, within three years of signature.”