- Identify challenges and opportunities, set priorities for more effective and efficient implementation, communicate progress and ensure accountability, generate political, public and private sector support for further investment.
The monitoring of progress towards SDG 6 is a means to making it happen. High-quality data help policy- and decision makers at all levels of government to identify challenges and opportunities, to set priorities for more effective and efficient implementation, to communicate progress and ensure accountability, and to generate political, public and private sector support for further investment.
UN-Water has launched seven reports that track progress towards the various targets set out in SDG 6 using the SDG global indicators:
- Safe Treatment and Use of Wastewater (SDG indicator 6.3.1, WHO and UN-Habitat)
- Ambient Water Quality (SDG indicator 6.3.2, UN Environment)
- Water-Use Efficiency (SDG indicator 6.4.1, FAO)
- Level of Water Stress (SDG indicator 6.4.2, FAO)
- Integrated Water Resources Management (SDG indicator 6.5.1, UN Environment)
- Transboundary Water Cooperation (SDG indicator 6.5.2, UNECE and UNESCO)
- Water-related Ecosystems (SDG indicator 6.6.1, UN Environment)