What is the Business Alliance for Water & Climate Change?
Preparing for and adapting to new climate realities will be one of the defining challenges of the 21st Century. Recognizing the considerable environmental, social, and economic value at stake due to worsening water stress and climate change, the private sector – through the Business Alliance for Water and Climate Change (BAfW) – is calling for:
- Water challenges to be integrated into the global climate policy and financing architecture, and
- Businesses to commit to take meaningful action to address water and climate challenges.
BAfW will provide direct input into Resilience Day, held on December 2nd as part of the French and Peruvian government’s Lima-Paris Action Agenda during COP21.
BAfW is jointly managed by the CEO Water Mandate, CDP, and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) on behalf of the companies who sign its declaration.
What is the declaration?
The declaration is a call to action and an executive leadership commitment from companies around the world to address urgent sustainable development challenges related to water and climate. We invite companies and business organizations to add their names to the declaration by completing the form below.
Companies signing the declaration:
- Call for water to be taken into account at COP21 and in the global climate agenda
- Commit to measure and minimize water risks and impacts by working with CDP, the UN Global Compact, WBCSD, and other collaborative initiatives
Transform your commitment into positive action
There are many tools and resources available that can help you implement your commitment to water and climate action. The CEO Water Mandate’s Water Stewardship Toolbox features a wide range of these tools developed by the Mandate and many others. It helps you identify what types of stewardship practices are most valuable and appropriate given your own unique circumstances and experience with water.
The resources captured in the Toolbox address each of the commitment areas addressed in the declaration. The Water Stewardship Progression – shown below – illustrates the various actions that water stewards pursue over time.
The Water Stewardship Progression
Continue strengthening your commitment to water
While the declaration represents excellent first steps for corporate action on water, there is more to be done. Companies that endorse the CEO Water Mandate and report through CDP all commit to the level of action described in the declaration, and more. We are building an international movement of committed companies, both leaders and learners, that manage their water risks through conservation and collective action beyond their fenceline. Join our community of stewardship practitioners by implementing the following next steps.
- Join others who have made the commitment and endorse the CEO Water Mandate and its six elements.
- Demonstrate your action on climate and water by reporting through CDP.
- Engage with potential partners on the Water Action Hub to collaborate on water projects around the world.
- Sign WBCSD’s WASH at the Workplace pledge and commit to ensuring safe water, sanitation, and hygiene services for all your employees.
Subscribe to Posts by Email
Get future posts to the Water Stewardship Leaders Blog in your Inbox!