- Quantify water-related impacts caused by facility
- Quantify facility’s exposure to water-related risk
- Identify helpful management response
GEMI Local Water Tool™ (LWT) – developed by the Global Environmental Management Initiative (GEMI) – is a free tool for companies and organizations to evaluate the external impacts, business risks, opportunities, and management plans related to water use and discharge at a specific site or operation. The GEMI LWT™ is meant to:
- Help companies assess external impacts, business risks, opportunities and manage water-related issues at specific sites.
- Provide a common and consistent visualization platform for internal and external communication.
- Provide interconnectivity between global and local water risk assessments and a uniform approach between site assessments.
- Provide a central repository of information for the individual user to create reports for internal and external stakeholders.
The GEMI LWT™ uses company influent and effluent data, coupled with watershed data, to quantify the relative impacts and risks associated with specific facilities water use and wastewater discharge. It also identifies potential management methods to help mitigate those risks and impacts. Finally, GEMI LWT™ provides this data in a way that is consistent with common reporting metrics (especially those in GRI’s G4 Guidelines) and to encourage improved internal communication.
The purpose and functionality of GEMI LWT™ are mutually supportive and shares the same terminology with the WBCSD Global Water Tool (GWT). Companies can employ the WBCSD GWT to identify and prioritize high-risk sites in their portfolios. Users can also transfer specific site data from the WBCSD GWT to the GEMI LWT™.
23 Similar Resources Found:
- Exploring the Case for Corporate Context-Based Water Targets (2017)
- South African Mine Water Atlas (2017)
- Hotel Water Measurement Initiative (2016)
- Hotel Water Measurement Initiative Methodology & Tool (2016)
- IWRM Data Portal (2015)
- The Water Network (2015)
- Water Scarcity Solutions (2015)
- Water Stewardship in Colombia: How Cooperation Improves Water Governance of the Paramo de Santurban (2015)
- Water Risk Monetizer (2014)
- Driving Harmonization of Water-Related Terminology (2014)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" in Water-Related Collective Action (2014)
- Water Efficiency Toolkit (2014)
- Aqueduct (2013)
- Water as a Casualty of Conflict: Threats to Business and Society in High-Risk Areas (2013)
- Chemicals Management Module (2013)
- Water Impact Index – WIIX (2012)
- Water Footprint Assessment (2012)
- Water Risk Filter (2012)
- Aqua Gauge (2011)
- Corporate Water Accounting - An Analysis of Methods and Tools for Measuring Water Use and its Impacts (2010)
- Climate Change and the Global Water Crisis: What Businesses Need to Know and Do (2009)
- Collecting the Drops & Connecting the Drops (2007)
- Global Water Tool (2007)
Developed by: Global Environmental Management Initiative