- Commit to, understand, plan, implement, evaluate, and communicate water stewardship actions at facility-level
The AWS International Water Stewardship Standard (AWS Standard) is an international, ISEAL-compliant, standard that defines a set of water stewardship criteria and indicators for how water should be stewarded at a site and catchment level in a way that is environmentally, socially, and economically beneficial. The Standard provides water stewards with a six-step continual improvement framework that enables sites to commit to, understand, plan, implement, evaluate and communicate water stewardship actions.
Implementing the AWS Standard helps sites to:
- Mitigate their water risks,
- Address their shared water challenges in the catchment, and
- Ensure that responsible water stewardship actions are in place to minimize negative impacts and maximize positive impacts for everyone.
The AWS Standard can be implemented by any site, in any sector, in any catchment around the world. Furthermore, the Standard can be harnessed by others interested in mitigating corporate risks, such as water-related supply chain risks or investors, as well as public sector agencies as a framework to evaluate water stewardship practices.
Free to download, the AWS Standard will also soon be supported by a verification system which will enable verification of practices, the use of claims and AWS verified logos. The verification system will recognize the different levels of performance outlined in the AWS Standard and will offer independent verification of performance developed by members in a robust and credible manner.
The AWS Standard is managed by the members of the Alliance for Water Stewardship and informed by a technical advisory group.
19 Similar Resources Found:
- Hotel Water Measurement Initiative (2016)
- Natural Infrastructure for Business Platform (2015)
- The Business Case for Responsible Corporate Adaptation: Strengthening Private Sector and Community Resilience (2015)
- The Water Network (2015)
- Private sector and water supply, sanitation and hygiene (2015)
- Pathways to Achieving Sustainable Development Goals Related to Water and Sanitation: An Experience from India (2015)
- Water Scarcity Solutions (2015)
- Guide to Managing Integrity in Water Stewardship Initiatives (2015)
- Water Stewardship in Colombia: How Cooperation Improves Water Governance of the Paramo de Santurban (2015)
- Exploring the Business Case for Corporate Action on Sanitation (2014)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" in Water-Related Collective Action (2014)
- Water Efficiency Toolkit (2014)
- Water Action Hub (2013)
- Shared Water Challenges and Interests: The Case for Private Sector Engagement in Water Policy and Management (2013)
- Chemicals Management Module (2013)
- Water Risk Filter (2012)
- Guide to Water-Related Collective Action (2012)
- Guide to Responsible Business Engagement with Water Policy (2011)
- From Footprint to Public Policy – The Business Future for Addressing Water Issues (2009)
Developed by: Alliance for Water Stewardship