Case Study Overview:
This case study drawn from the CEO Water Mandate’s Serving The Public Interest: Corporate Water Stewardship and Sustainable Development report.
When UK retailer Marks and Spencer (M&S) adopted a water stewardship approach to address water risk in their supply chains, the Western Cape was identified as a key risk area. M&S joined forces with South Africa retailer Woolworths, WWF, Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS), and a progressive group of stone fruit farmers to address the challenges together. This catalyzed collective action in the region, and an expanded multi-stakeholder group is now taking action across a number of areas which will directly contribute to the SDG targets.
After working with farmers to assess and improve water management practices on farms, partners broadened engagement with more local stakeholders, including representatives from the Catchment Management Authority, to map water risks in the region. Now, the partnership – with engagement from GIZ – is working to address these risks by ensuring that invasive plants are cleared, addressing local municipal sanitation issues, and creating channels to share knowledge and information on better water management.
19 Similar Case Studies Found:
- Woolworths' Collective Action to Clear Alien Plants in the Breede Catchment (2016)
- OMV's Water Risk Assessment and Management Process (2016)
- Duratex's Water Measuring Tools (2016)
- Diageo's Assessment of Local Regulatory Context (2016)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" | El Bajío Growing Region, Mexico: Overdrafts in the Aquifer Account (2015)
- Iberdrola's Operational Improvements and Supplier Engagement (2015)
- Lockheed Martin's Water Use Efficiency Program (2015)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" | The Colorado River Delta: Overdrawn and Dried Up (2014)
- Metsä Board's Water Use Efficiency Measures (2013)
- Mining Company in Tanzania: Contamination and Supporting Access to Water (2011)
- Oil & Gas Company in Tunisia: Conflict and Divisions within Local Communities (2011)
- Sasol and Lebalelo Water Users Association in South Africa (2011)
- Anglo American's Mitigating Water Risk in Emalahleni, South Africa (2011)
- MolsonCoors & Clear Creek Watershed Forum | Consulting Stakeholders to Frame Watershed Improvement Priorities (2011)
- Suez Environnement's Collaboration with Watershed Stakeholders for Improved Watershed Health (2011)
- Mining Company in India: Access to Water and Gender-related Impacts (2011)
- Lake Naivasha Initiative | Scoping the Right Collective Action Level of Engagement (2009)
- Coca-Cola's Improving Water Quality for the Mesoamerican Reef Catchments (2007)
- Water Stewardship Integrity Risks in the Kadee River Initiative (Fictional) (0)