Case Study Overview:
This case study drawn from the CEO Water Mandate’s Guide to Water-Related Collective Action.
In 2011, the apparel companies in the CEO Water Mandate (Mandate) and UN Environment Programme (UNEP) convened national-level capacity building workshops in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The workshops engaged Nike’s, Levi Strauss’s, H&M’s, and Nautica’s garment wash and finishing suppliers, local NGOs, and representatives from government agencies to better understand the nature of water challenges in the region, discuss the need for improved industrial water management, and share information on best practices that have proved beneficial for apparel manufacturers in Vietnam and Cambodia. The Mandate and UNEP compiled low-cost good water management practices specific to apparel wash and finishing facilities, including some pertaining to internal governance, measuring and monitoring, recycling and reuse, single-process and multiple-process optimization, and wastewater treatment. The workshops were effective in building awareness of the importance of water sustainability, highlighted cost-saving opportunities from easily implemented water-use efficiency measures, and facilitated improved dialogue between brands and their suppliers, potentially paving the way for further sharing of knowledge and best practices.
12 Similar Case Studies Found:
- Hewlett Packard's Proactive Engagement with Suppliers (2016)
- OMV's Water Risk Assessment and Management Process (2016)
- Bayer's Product Development and Supplier Engagement (2016)
- Colgate-Palmolive's Customer Engagement (2016)
- Ford Motor Company's Engagement with Employees and Suppliers (2016)
- Coca-Cola's Supplier Engagement and Sustainable Agriculture Guiding Principles (2016)
- Unilever's Target-Setting and Supplier Engagement (2016)
- Duratex's Water Measuring Tools (2016)
- Iberdrola's Operational Improvements and Supplier Engagement (2015)
- Lockheed Martin's Water Use Efficiency Program (2015)
- Metsä Board's Water Use Efficiency Measures (2013)
- Ambev's CYAN Movement in the Corumbá-Paranoá Basin, Brazil (2010)