Case Study Overview:
This case study drawn from the 2016 CDP Water Report.
For consumer staples giant Diageo plc, regulation of its water use is considered to represent a major source of potential water-related risk – necessitating regulatory horizon scanning.
“Water use and consumption are significant cost drivers within our business,” the company says in its disclosure to CDP. “Any regulatory activity likely to increase water costs is an important element of water-related risk assessment.”
Specifically, it is concerned that local governance of water resources is lacking in some of the jurisdictions in which it operates, and is mindful that regulation is likely to increase in the future. It notes, for example, that water prices have increased significantly over the last year in Nairobi, Kenya, where the company operates a large brewery.
To manage these risks, the company relies upon internal company knowledge in the form of survey responses from site personnel, specific to water-related regulatory risks, as well as Diageo’s custom-developed True Cost of Water calculator. This estimates the full cost of water to each plant, allowing plant managers to anticipate and plan for the financial impact of any price or tariff increases.
19 Similar Case Studies Found:
- Woolworths' Collective Action to Clear Alien Plants in the Breede Catchment (2016)
- OMV's Water Risk Assessment and Management Process (2016)
- Duratex's Water Measuring Tools (2016)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" | El Bajío Growing Region, Mexico: Overdrafts in the Aquifer Account (2015)
- Working Towards Better Water Management in the Western Cape, South Africa (2015)
- Iberdrola's Operational Improvements and Supplier Engagement (2015)
- Lockheed Martin's Water Use Efficiency Program (2015)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" | The Colorado River Delta: Overdrawn and Dried Up (2014)
- Metsä Board's Water Use Efficiency Measures (2013)
- Mining Company in Tanzania: Contamination and Supporting Access to Water (2011)
- Oil & Gas Company in Tunisia: Conflict and Divisions within Local Communities (2011)
- Sasol and Lebalelo Water Users Association in South Africa (2011)
- Anglo American's Mitigating Water Risk in Emalahleni, South Africa (2011)
- MolsonCoors & Clear Creek Watershed Forum | Consulting Stakeholders to Frame Watershed Improvement Priorities (2011)
- Suez Environnement's Collaboration with Watershed Stakeholders for Improved Watershed Health (2011)
- Mining Company in India: Access to Water and Gender-related Impacts (2011)
- Lake Naivasha Initiative | Scoping the Right Collective Action Level of Engagement (2009)
- Coca-Cola's Improving Water Quality for the Mesoamerican Reef Catchments (2007)
- Water Stewardship Integrity Risks in the Kadee River Initiative (Fictional) (0)