Case Study Overview:
This case study drawn from the 2016 CDP Water Report.
Used for a variety of processes in their upstream and downstream operations, water is critically important to OMV. They publicly demonstrated their commitment to responsible water management by publishing a Water Ambition Statement in their 2014 Sustainability Report, along with strategic pillars and goals.
Any significant water-related risks are considered and addressed across the company as part of its bi-annual Enterprise Wide Risk Management process. OMV applies the IPIECA Global Water Tool, WWF’s Water Risk Filter and the WRI Aqueduct tool to screen and analyze physical, regulatory and reputational risks related to water. This practice has helped OMV highlight the aspects of their operations most vulnerable to water risks and assess where water might pose potential constraints to future operations.
OMV also recognizes that good water management can present opportunities. At their Petrobrazi refinery in Romania, OMV reduced their water withdrawals in 2015 by implementing projects such as condensate recovery in stripping reboilers, upgrading their steam tracer batteries and the optimization of their drinking water network. Additionally, the company recently constructed a new water treatment plant to improve the quality of water discharged to the receiving Barcau river in Romania, thus benefiting the local ecosystem and biodiversity of the river.
24 Similar Case Studies Found:
- Woolworths' Collective Action to Clear Alien Plants in the Breede Catchment (2016)
- Bayer's Product Development and Supplier Engagement (2016)
- Ford Motor Company's Engagement with Employees and Suppliers (2016)
- Unilever's Target-Setting and Supplier Engagement (2016)
- Duratex's Water Measuring Tools (2016)
- Diageo's Assessment of Local Regulatory Context (2016)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" | El Bajío Growing Region, Mexico: Overdrafts in the Aquifer Account (2015)
- Working Towards Better Water Management in the Western Cape, South Africa (2015)
- Iberdrola's Operational Improvements and Supplier Engagement (2015)
- Lockheed Martin's Water Use Efficiency Program (2015)
- Understanding "Sufficiency" | The Colorado River Delta: Overdrawn and Dried Up (2014)
- Metsä Board's Water Use Efficiency Measures (2013)
- Mining Company in Tanzania: Contamination and Supporting Access to Water (2011)
- Oil & Gas Company in Tunisia: Conflict and Divisions within Local Communities (2011)
- Sasol and Lebalelo Water Users Association in South Africa (2011)
- Anglo American's Mitigating Water Risk in Emalahleni, South Africa (2011)
- MolsonCoors & Clear Creek Watershed Forum | Consulting Stakeholders to Frame Watershed Improvement Priorities (2011)
- Suez Environnement's Collaboration with Watershed Stakeholders for Improved Watershed Health (2011)
- SE Asia Apparel Water Action | Sharing Information to Support Improved Water Management among Apparel Suppliers (2011)
- Mining Company in India: Access to Water and Gender-related Impacts (2011)
- Ambev's CYAN Movement in the Corumbá-Paranoá Basin, Brazil (2010)
- Lake Naivasha Initiative | Scoping the Right Collective Action Level of Engagement (2009)
- Coca-Cola's Improving Water Quality for the Mesoamerican Reef Catchments (2007)
- Water Stewardship Integrity Risks in the Kadee River Initiative (Fictional) (0)